Lung disease refers to various conditions that impact how the lungs function, making it difficult to breathe correctly. When you suspect that you or a loved one may have lung disease, the team of doctors at Maranatha Medical Plaza is here to help. Our Pulmonary Clinic can diagnose, treat and manage all forms of lung disease, from the most common to the rare.
What are the Different Kinds of Lung Disease?
While there are many types of lung disease, they can be categorized into three main kinds:
- Lung tissue diseases: causes scarring or inflammation of the lung tissue
- Lung circulation diseases: causes scarring or clotting of the blood vessels in the lungs
- Airway diseases: causes narrowing of the airways or blockages
Some of the most common types of lung disease include,
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Chronic bronchitis
- Pulmonary edema (a buildup of fluid in the lungs)
- Pulmonary hypertension
What are the Warning Signs of Lung Disease?
It’s essential to recognize the signs and symptoms of lung disease so that you can turn to our team as soon as possible for treatment. Many conditions can be managed with proper and prompt treatment and care. Warning signs of lung disease include,
- Difficulty breathing
- Feeling out of breath
- Chronic cough
- Blood in mucus
- Increased mucus buildup
- Persistent chest discomfort (requires immediate medical attention to rule out potentially life-threatening conditions such as a heart attack)
How is Lung Disease Treated?
How our pulmonary clinic here at Maranatha Medical Plaza will treat your lung disease will depend on the type of lung disease you’re dealing with and the severity of your symptoms. When you come into our practice, we will perform pulmonary tests to diagnose your condition. Once we know what’s causing your symptoms, then our team can map out your treatment plan, which may include,
- Lifestyle modifications such as getting regular exercise, quitting smoking and avoiding secondhand smoke
- Medications such as corticosteroid inhalers, oral steroids, antibiotics and bronchodilators
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Oxygen therapy
If you or someone you know has lung disease, know that the Maranatha Medical Plaza medical team can provide the answers and care you’re looking for to get your lung disease under control. Book your appointment with us online, and we’ll work with your schedule to find a time that works best for you.